Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yikes!

The last day of school ... until August. This was a surprisingly quiet day with pretty much everyone opting to go somewhere else to celebrate their freedom. They were probably afraid I would really make a chore list. So, my neighbor calls me a little before 2 (I think) and asks if my older girls can watch her youngest (who's 5) from 3:30 until 5. I explain that they may not be around but she's welcome to send her daughter over here since I'm not going anywhere. We agree (after I insist) that no payment is necessary. So the afternoon goes on and 5 o'clock comes and my neighbor (the husband this time) is at my door. I see him and think "Why is he here?" And then my stomach sinks. I was supposed to have his daughter and I haven't seen her once! He says, "I have S.(though he went ahead and used her name) and I'm going to take her to her party now. Do I owe you anything?" Yikes! I explained that my kids had been playing outside all day (which is absolutely true though they checked in now and then) and I hadn't even seen her. She was absolutely no trouble -- that is true -- except for the feelings of horror and guilt that I didn't even remember she was coming. I am so glad she was fine! I guess when her sister sent her over she went straight to playing outside without ever ringing the doorbell. Either that or she came when I was outside in the back with Dan. Tip for people who want me to watch your kids. I do much better at watching people if I know they're around! I'd better go before I need to write a blog about burnt chicken.

4 comments:

LC said...

That is funny--especially since it all turned out good in the end.
Good thing you were home when the dad came to pick up his dtr!

Megz said...

Maybe that's why the mom first asked for your daughters to babysit? Just chalk it up to last day of school depression.

TisforTonya said...

I say just smile and be glad that you were home at all - I've managed to be in another zip code when I had promised to watch someone's kid once... felt like a MORON, but we all got over it!

cold cocoa said...

Well- you haven't lost any children yet! Or have you- this could be an interesting discussion piece for all!