Monday, January 31, 2011

The Murderer of Plants

Meet Rosey.  Isn't she pretty?  Derek bought this beautiful rose plant for me the other day and brought it home.  I love it.  I love it because I love roses, and I love that Derek thought of me and took the time to get me something he knows I like.  That being said, I did not react with as much gratitude as I should have because I am afraid.  I am afraid that I am a murderer of plants.  House plants in particular since we have several beautiful rose bushes outside that seem to do fine from year to year. 

Not only am I afraid I'm a plant murderer but I think I torture the poor plants first.  Unfortunately, my main method of deciding when plants should be watered is by looking at them when I walk by.  "Oh!  That plant is drooping.  I'd better water it!"  But then I might get busy and not remember until the next time I glance at the plant when I walk by.  They can handle this for a while but eventually it does them in -- every time.

I don't do this on purpose.  I feel bad every time.  It is because I was tired of feeling sad for all of my house plants that I finally just got rid of them.  I think I gave some away but most I simply never replaced after they died. Still, occasionally Derek will bring me a rose plant and I will try my best to take care of it.  Unfortunately, the last one still died in about a month.  I cried for the poor rose bush because it had come to me, and somehow, I was sure that I had inadvertently been the cause of its death.

So last night I came up with a plan.  I named the rose plant Rosey since one of the plants that I had that lived the longest had a name.  I took Charlie the plant to college with me and he lived for a very long time.  I think I used to talk to Charlie and so maybe I'd better chat with Rosey now and then.  I figure, if I put the rose plant in a bigger pot, with lovely dirt, and put her in our piano room, and let her listen to beautiful music while soaking up as much sun as possible, then maybe Rosey will thrive.  Maybe this time I will not end up being The Murderer of Plants.  Now if I can just remember the water!

*Every now and then Mom C. lets me water her outside potted plants when they are gone.  I always think this is extremely brave of her.  I always wonder if she is tempted to get someone else to check on the plants when I'm not there, or if she just prays really hard that they'll live.  So far so good.  I can even keep potted flowers outside alive at my house -- with a lot of help from Kayli!  Sadly, when I get feeling overwhelmed with my to do list I can always convince myself that those flowers are really hardy and that one day without water won't kill them.  (As if the five minutes it takes to water them will kill me!)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I must be your accomplice because all of my house plants are dead. I even killed my aloe vera plant. My mother told me the best way to care for a succulent is to put it in the sun and forget about it. Oh well. Try, try again.

Megz said...

I hate to break it to you but mom always asks me to water the plants whenever she asks you just to make sure...I.
I hope Rosey survives. She sure is pretty. Maybe you should water your plants like I do----I have a water bottle I take to workout with 3 times a week and whenever I come home whatever is leftover in the bottle gets squirted on my plants. Sometimes it's more than other times but it must work since I have 7 live plants going on over here.

Marcy said...

I hear you! I'm also a murderer of indoor plants. I don't keep them around for that reason. I do have one right now that was givien to me by a friend and the only reason it is still alive is Alyssa remembers to water it occasionally.

Saimi said...

I so glad to know I'm not the only one that can't keep a indoor plant alive..All my out door plants are Perennials..The hardy kind that don't require a lot of fuss.

Now there is a type of watering system that you could use for Rosie.
It's a watering bulb that holds water and you insert in the dirt some how it knows to regulates its self.

My mother in law uses them...I think she got tired of her plants dying when left in my care! HA!

TisforTonya said...

I do not have a good track record with plants... I think I've manged to kill a few silk ones along the way even.

I was given a plant once in the hospital - and brought it to my grandmother's (because her plants live FOREVER - I think some are older than me). Just because it belonged to me - it died.

Q is in charge of our plants... but I'm just realizing that the spider plant has been replaced by a big empty spot on the wall. Probably at least a year ago... that tells you how observant I am.

LC said...

I've been able to keep one houseplant half-alive for a long time now. It doesn't look too good--but it's not totally dead--so it just sits there begging for some TLC.
Good luck with Rosey. That was very romantical of Derek.