Sunday, June 9, 2019

The 21st Birthday of Connor, "The Bigg", Kayli's Twin

Connor:  My First Little Boy
At the time this picture was taken he was still "The Bigg"
A long time ago I had three little girls.  They were sweet, and beautiful, and I was just a bit afraid to have a boy -- until Connor.  He was born June 9, 1998 and the epidural they gave me so I wouldn't feel surgery went into my blood stream and from there into Connor's.  The anesthesiologist knocked me out so I was unaware of anything -- for hours -- but Derek had to watch terrified doctors and nurses fighting for the life of our little boy.  Thankfully --about 6 hours later when I woke up, I was greeted by a screaming baby who was headed to the NICU because his oxygen levels weren't high enough.  After all of that screaming I wasn't too worried, and sure enough, once he got to the NICU his oxygen levels were fine.  He stayed there overnight, and they wheeled me over to visit him before bedtime.  I held him.  He was very calm, and looked me right in the eyes for a long time.  It felt like he was saying that he fully trusted me to help him during his life ahead.  It was very humbling.

There are pictures of Connor as a toddler wearing his sister's dress up high heels, but he was really all boy.  At Christmas time the wrapped presents became vehicles that Connor pushed around while making car noises.  He loved throwing balls and hitting them with a bat, and he was a bit of a wild boy on his bike when he insisted he didn't need training wheels, and did a great job of immediately bumping over curbs and such until he somehow fell head first into the gravel in the back yard.  That wasn't nearly as bad as years later when he fell face first into the pavement when riding a scooter down a hill on a less than stellar road.  One of the teeth in his very nice smile isn't completely original!

He used to give me the greatest complements when I was pregnant with Jake.  "Wow Mom!  I like that dress! ..... How did you get it on?".  I'd have to fish out the correct journal to come up with all of the complements, but he did complement my teeth brushing skills -- and his own, and all of that was better than the time that I walked out of my room ready for church and he took one look at me and fell down laughing!  That didn't exactly inspire confidence!

Mason and Connor.  These boys used to beg the kindergarten bus driver to take them around the block again.
It never worked.
Connor and Kayli obviously aren't really twins since their birthdays are 2 and a half years apart, but they have been great friends for a long time.  I'm not sure if that's because I made Kayli take him with her to the neighbors (thanks again Alicia) or in spite of that, but it is a good thing.  When Connor would send pictures home from Japan he was often holding a picture of his "twin", and when Tia got married Kayli carried Connor's picture around all day.


My cute "twins" Kayli and Connor
Connor is home now, and working, and preparing for college in the fall.  He's come a long way from being the cute little boy who used to have a book in front of him during family prayer and would close his eyes, open them to peek, quickly turn the page, and then do it all again.  Or he'd go get a snack or drink and run back in time for the Amen!  Now he is all grown up and when he says the family prayer I feel like Heavenly Father has come into the room to listen.  I could not ask for a better oldest son.  I love him.  Happy Birthday to Connor!
Connor as a new big brother holding Jake.
Connor at age 11
**The pictures didn't want to land in the order I wanted them to be in.  But hey!  There are pictures!

No comments: