Wednesday, June 5, 2019

The Temple and Being My Best Self

I have a couple of really good friends who invite me to go to the temple with them.  I am so thankful!  I love the temple, but it is still hard for me to make myself get up and go -- except when I have friends who are going too.  This morning I remembered a story that I had heard about a man who went to the temple every week without fail.  Someone was complimenting him on his service, and he said something to the affect of, "I am not coming because I am such a good person, I'm coming once a week because I have found that I need to come that often in order for me to be my best self."

I remember wondering how often I would need to attend so that I could more often be "my best self".  I still am not sure, but I believe it is a good question to ponder, and to work on finding the answer to.  I do know that the temple is a place of peace, love, kindness, reassurance, gratitude, revelation, and worship.  I was reading in my journal about a time that Derek and I had gone to the temple.  I reported that I was really grumpy, but that Derek had put his arm around me and I had started to feel better.  After the session I told Derek that I hadn't gotten much out it, but that the longer I was in the temple the happier I felt (which is actually a pretty good thing to "get out of it").

I am thankful for the temple.  Going there gives me a better perspective, more gratitude, and a lot more peace, which goes a long way in helping me be my best self.

* Picture used by permission from churchofjesuschrist.org

No comments: