Saturday, January 29, 2011

Counting Again

I counted blessings on my blog during the end of last year which was beneficial to me.  So today when I'm feeling like I've been home with sick boys a lot -- because I have -- I thought counting blessings might help me put things in a happy perspective again.  So here we go:

1.  When kids are sick it limits choices which makes decision making easier.  Should I go out or stay home? Stay home.  This is actually nice for a day or two.
2.  Dan really is entertaining and I wish that I could remember everything he says that is funny.  Instead here are two pictures he took of himself.

 
3.  Technology.  On those days when we can't go out and nobody can really come over it is nice that there is a way to stay connected so that I do not feel so isolated.  I enjoyed talking to family members on the phone and through e-mail and reading and commenting on blogs.
4.  Music.  When I was growing up and got discouraged I would sit down and sing.  I started with "Count Your Blessings" and usually sang "I Stand All Amazed" sometime while I was at it.  Later I began with "Come, Come Ye Saints".  I love the words by William Clayton "Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard? 'Tis not so; all is right.  Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now, shun the fight?".  They help me stop feeling sorry for myself.  I try harder to have joy as I wend my way through life.  I don't sing music as much anymore but I listen.  Today I listened to "Hallelujah" from Handel's Messiah and "Through Heavens Eyes" from Prince of Egypt.  I liked being reminded that, though we are in charge of making the best of things, God is over all.  I trust that Heavenly Father and Jesus know what is best for me.  I like the message in "Through Heavens Eyes" because it reminds me that if I am having a grumpy perspective perhaps it's because I can't see the big picture.
5.  Media.  I enjoy reading the newspaper (or at least the headlines) and watching a good show or movie.  I love books too! 
The photo is by Dan.  I don't usually look at the newspaper from that angle.  I thought it was interesting.




6.  When Jake was feeling better but was still home because of his awful cough, he made a helicopter with his Zoobs.  He followed instructions.  I was impressed.
It really was a cool helicopter.
7. Safe travel by Tia who is at a "hair show" in California.
8.  Modern medicine to help with fevers and stuffy heads.
9.  Time away from the sick house with Kayli and her cleaning things at home so she can stay well.
10.  Hugs

5 comments:

Sherie Christensen said...

I didn't say, but it is Jake and Connor who have been sick. Dan caught the cold but got better instead of worse. Jake had a fever and an awful sounding hack. Connor got hammered. Fever, super stuffiness with hurting ears, and a stomach that doesn't feel good, along with a headache. Derek and I are fighting colds. Derek's is worse.

Saimi said...

I yai yai! I can pretty much say I know EXACTLY how your family is feeling, as I am fighting a darn cold myself!

As for music to pump me up..Nothing like a little Neil Diamond to rock me on!! HA!!

Hope your family feels better!!

Megz said...

I hate when I'm trapped at home with sick kids for more than a couple of days. Sometimes I just throw them in the car and drive around so I can pretend I'm going out.
Hope you're all better soon.

Marcy said...

Very wonderful blessings, thanks for counting (and posting) them!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for the inspirational music review. I needed that today. I had a 3.5 hour drive with no clock or radio in college and I would sing out loud and pray the whole trip. I don't do that anymore, but I should. Thank you for the boost today.