Thursday, January 21, 2021

Wednesday's Drama

 First let me assure you that all is well and a little of the drama was maybe a little funny -- after the fact.  

Tuesday was my regularly scheduled mammogram.  I'm 3 years away from my original cancer finding mammogram, and so it had actually been a whole year since my last one and I was nervous.  What ifs ran through my mind a lot, and my fortune cookie said something helpful like "You will be brave as you face adversity".  I even made a plan for how I'd handle things this time.


I was hoping for one of the nice "diagnostic mammograms" where they show the doctor right away and I would get the verdict before I left.  No such luck.  Christine, who I've seen several years in a row was sympathetic.  She has her own serious health issues and understands the worry of not knowing for sure, but there was nothing she could do but say sorry, they'll read it tomorrow.

Wednesday comes and I am happily treasure hunting at the D.I. when my phone rings.  It was Christine from the hospital asking if my doctors had called yet.  No.  No they hadn't.  She said she knew I was worried and she wanted me to know that the doctor saw something, probably nothing to worry about, and wanted more pictures and maybe an ultrasound.  She offered to schedule a time and, I think thanks to Covid, there were open times that day.  I went in again.  Had more pictures which they hoped would make the spot disappear.  Nope.  Then Christine came with me to the ultrasound and the ultrasound guy took pictures, once he found something, and said the doctor might want to see -- but then came back soon saying he was wrong and the doctor said it was fine.

I have a cyst.  A "non-worrisome" cyst.  I also had a visible lymph node.  We have those all over and apparently they occasionally "show up" in various places.  As long as they aren't too big that's okay.  So, because of my history, and to be safe, I will go back in 6 months and make sure all is the same.  End of drama ..... almost.

I got ready to go and started searching all of my pockets for my keys.  I emptied my purse twice.  I patted my coat and pants pockets a ridiculous amount of times since they obviously weren't there.  Christine walked with me back and forth to the two different rooms searching couch cushions and chair cushions and the floor.  Nothing.  We went to the check-in desk.  Nothing.  She walked outside with me to see if I dropped them as I walked in. Nothing.  

And then I got near enough to the car to hear it.  It was running!  I must have been a bit nervous when I arrived, and I was distracted by the Life Flight helicopter taking off.  I watched it as memories of watching Jake's life flight helicopter take off from my hospital room ran through my head.  Thankfully, after having been in the hospital for almost an hour, the car was still there, quietly keeping warm in the parking lot.  Totally not good for the planet to have it running, but it was good for me that nobody stole it!  

One last thing.  I am thankful for Christine who was very thoughtful and kind, going out of her way to help me, and to try and make everything less stressful.  It was very appreciated.

**Photo by Angiola Harry on Unsplash

No comments: