Wednesday, April 14, 2021

54 Before 54


This year I will be turning --- you guessed it ---- 54.  Yesterday it sounded like fun to do one of those lists people sometimes do where they do 30 things before their 30th birthday or 25 before their 25th.  Since my birthday isn't until the end of September, I figured I had time to do 54 things if I didn't make them too hard.  

I am not my enthusiastic competing cousins who would probably have managed to throw at least a half marathon into their plan if not some other super hard race.  Mine includes things like "have a picnic using my jean quilt", "learn a line dance", and "sing every day for a month".  I do have some exercising things included.  Even a race!  I don't have to actually race before my birthday, but I do need to sign up for a breast cancer walk / run before my birthday.  It's looking like that will be a late October thing (which means I'll likely be dressing warm).  I am happy to have racing buddies if anyone is interested!  Just don't expect me to go fast.  You can go fast and wait for me at the finish line!

When Derek heard what I was doing he said something like, "can you make one of your things to not make any more lists?"  The answer was to laugh.  I actually have become a little anti-list in some ways.  I get tired of trying to keep track of things, and I don't want to define my worth by what I accomplish.  I also don't want to become upset that I didn't do something on a list of things that I made up myself for fun.  On the other hand, I can be motivated by lists -- especially lists I like.  My list does have some things that are out of my comfort zone (say -- racing).  It has things I'm good at, like studying.  But mainly it has things to do, including things I would do without my list, like "move into my house".  All in all, I like my list and checked the first thing off today!  Yay for me (and Kayli) who came with me to Color Me Mine and painted some pottery!

**The picture above was taken by Derek.  The elephant is available for purchase at RC Willey :-)

No comments: