Friday, February 8, 2013

Neither Do I Condemn Thee

image from productoscolombianos.net
If you read enough of these, you will come to realize that I have had to learn the same lessons over and over again.  I especially seem to be susceptible to the idea that I am not good enough, or that I am somehow a failure, or any number of negative depressing thoughts that end in a good I'm not perfect yet pity party.  On a particularly hard morning I was crying, though I no longer recollect what I thought was so bad about me that day, and I knelt to pray.

In desperation I asked Heavenly Father to just tell me one good thing about me.  Then I was still, and listened.  A scripture came to mind almost immediately, and its words ran through my head.  The scripture was John 3:16 and 17.  I was particularly struck by the words from the 17th verse:  "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." 

I realized that I had been condemning myself for my human failings, but that God had not been condemning me at all.  I am His daughter. Isn't that one very good thing about me?  He loves me.  He sent the Savior to help me, and certainly not to make me miserable.  Learning is a process.  Heavenly Father knows my name, my strengths, and my weaknesses, and He sent the Savior to help me.  It is not my place to condemn anyone, even me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks. I needed that today.