Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Days Our Country Was United

On September 11, 2001 I got a phone call from my Mom.  She was upset and wanted me to turn on the news.  That was the beginning of a very bad day.  I watched the twin towers fall over, and over, and over again.  I cried and cried and cried.  How could anyone think that something so awful was the right thing to do?  Over the next few weeks, as I would drive around, I would see our country's flag and get teary eyed all over again. 

During the day the towers fell and for a little while after our country was as united as I remember seeing it.  We were united in gratitude for the sacrifices and bravery of first responders, and the generosity and helpfulness of strangers wanting to lift burdens.  We were united against an enemy that would create chaos, death, and destruction and get pleasure from it.  Even, for a while, many people seemed to remember that there is a God, and that we could pray to him for comfort, help, and mercy. 

9-11 was a terrible day, but in looking back, I hope we can remember that everyone in this wonderful country of ours has a reason to be united, and that our country is much more powerful when we unite our strengths instead of focusing on our differences.

No comments: