Sunday, March 22, 2020

Being Close and Far At The Same Time

The picture on the mantle was one of the last things I got at D.I. before they closed
it to protect us all from germs.  It might be necessary -- but it was a sad day for me!
I have a friend who posted on Facebook the idea that we should really be trying to be socially close to people right now -- while keeping our physical distance.  I think that is true.  This is a stressful time for many.  We have people in our family who are in the at risk group, and it's hard not to get stuck in the "what ifs".  There seems to always be the thought in the back of our minds of "what will happen next?"

I think it helps everyone to have supportive, reassuring people in their lives.  It helps to take advantage of any time we can outside.  It is fun to see more people out walking around.  We smile and wave and even chat from a "socially appropriate" distance.  Inside we can text and call and write people -- and spend time with those in our houses.

On television today I watched something that made me want to try harder to be close to the people I love, and to work harder to notice those who may be quite alone.  I have been dreading the week ahead because the weather is supposed to be wet and cloudy, and that can add to the trapped feeling I sometimes get.  But I like the idea of trying to be creative for my family, and with my family, to try to find ways to make this week better for as many people as we can!

For years we had a subwoofer sitting right where this tree is.  I was trying to figure out
how to disguise the subwoofer, but then I realized that I just didn't like it on the fireplace.  In fact, I enjoyed having nothing sitting there -- but I put the tree there yesterday anyway.  

On the left of the entertainment center you can see the subwoofer being used as a table for the flowers.  I like that much better!  Yay for a moment of inspiration and for Jake who figured out how to do it for me while Derek was gone.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hey we got this social distancing stuff down already! Love ya Cuz y'all stay safe out there!