Friday, January 7, 2022

Hospitality for Self

 


I can't take credit for the poem that follows.  I found it in my Fall 2021 Magnolia Magazine and I found it to be a useful thing to think about.  I really believe that God expects us to love ourselves -- not in a narcissistic way, but as He does.  We can recognize our faults without dwelling on them.  We can focus on the good we can do and the wonderful gifts we have been born with.  It seems like I have never been helped by calling myself stupid, or ugly, or any number of other negative adjectives.  I also have not been helped by listening to, and internalizing any unkind words that have been said about me.  

I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I do!

On Loving Yourself


Are you still holding back?

Are you still biting your tongue?

Do you still replay their unkind words?

That moment you felt less than?


That hurt.

It still hurts.


Does it make you think twice?

Does it cause you to hesitate?

Does it still paralyze you?

Did it change the way you talk to yourself?


When did you stop being kind to yourself?

Can you remember?

Were you ever?


Because you should be.

Because you’re good.

And because you’re loved.


So, be kind to yourself

And pick yourself up.

And open  your chest.

And take a deep breath.

And tell yourself the true things,

The things that you’ve convinced

Yourself are lies.


And say them again and

Again and again.

And, with clenched fists,

Declare that you are good,

Declare that you are loved.


And no events

Or circumstances or ups or downs

Or any person

Or any person’s careless words

Can keep you from being loved

Because you are worthy of it.


So, pick yourself up

And be love


FORWARD MOTION

No comments: