Friday, June 21, 2019

A Thing of Naught

Yesterday Jake and Dan and I were talking about what it meant to be considered a "thing of naught".  They hadn't been aware that the meaning of naught is "nothing" or "zero".  I asked them if anyone had ever treated them or talked to them like they were nothing -- as if they didn't matter and didn't count.  They said they had been treated like that (which is really sad).  I told them that people had not really ever treated me like that, but I have treated myself like that before.

We were talking about Jesus, and people considering Him a "thing of naught".  I asked how Jesus handled that.  Did it change His opinion of Himself?  They agreed that it did not change what Jesus thought of Himself.  Why?  Because He knew He was the Son of God and He knew that what He needed to do was important for everyone.

From talking about Jesus, and how He handled others treating Him as nothing, we could see that if someone else, or even ourselves, ever considered us as "nothing" or "zero" we needed to remember that we also are sons or daughters of God.  In Moses chapter 1 Moses does say that man is nothing compared to God, but when Satan tried to get Moses to worship him, Moses answered, "Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten; and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?"

We matter to God, and because of that we are never, ever a "thing of naught".

**Scriptures used:  1 Nephi 19:9 from The Book of Mormon:  Another Testament of Jesus Christ, and Moses 1: 10 & 13 from The Pearl of Great Price

No comments: