Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Covenants

The Jordan River Temple
where Derek and I made covenants
over 31 years ago!
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we believe in making covenants.  We promise to do certain things (like keep His commandments, and be willing to take Christ's name), and God gives us promises in return (that we will have His Spirit with us).  Recently, I have taken the time to think -- can I remember all of the covenants I have made?  Can I name them and explain them?  Can I recognize and explain what blessings I get from keeping them?  In asking myself these questions I decided that I do not remember enough, and so I have been working to remedy that.

A covenant is a promise -- and how can I keep a promise I can't remember?  And if I basically remember what I promised, but haven't taken the time to contemplate what it means, and how I could keep my part of the covenant better, then there is certainly room for improvement! 

I have enjoyed reading about the covenants I made at baptism, and going to the temple to listen carefully to the covenants I made there.  Heavenly Father loves me.  He loves you.  He gives us covenants for our benefit, and I am thankful for the opportunity to learn about and keep my covenants knowing God will keep His part, and He will give me the opportunity to repent when I fall short.

No comments: