Monday, July 15, 2019

Spend Money On Other People

When you have to save every penny to get by, it's nice when someone spends money on you.
Once you have money, it is a good idea to spend money on someone else.
I think about this at the store sometimes.  It was on the list of things happy people do that Hank Smith quoted in the talk we listened to last week. I think about it because there was a time early in our married life when I could go through my closet and list off who gave me almost every article of clothing.  I had actually only bought a couple of things myself. We just didn't have spare money.  My mother-in-law was great at making up occasions to give me things.  I remember getting a shirt with a "Happy Spring!" note, and I'm sure there were other "occasions" that aren't usually celebrated with presents!

Some of the clothes could have been from Grandma Heelis giving me money -- "Happy St. Patrick's Day!"  Derek's Grandma didn't just send money.  She loved to buy people things.  I don't think anyone ever went away from her house empty handed!

I think about buying things for people at the store, and sometimes I do, but often it goes like this:  "I should buy one of my girls a shirt!" I think.  And then, after looking around for a while I am buried in doubts over whether I really know what size to buy or if they'll really like it.  Never fear!  I have, while looking for presents for them, managed to find myself a little something!  Ha ha ha!  I really need to work on this one.  Perhaps I'd better just go with the sending money thing when it comes to clothes!    Then I can think of something else to buy that would brighten a day -- like flowers.  Or chocolate.  Or a book.  Or maybe a bag of balloons!  Anything that would make the day brighter for someone else would for sure make my day brighter as well.

*Photo by Josh Appel on Unsplash

No comments: