Friday, April 7, 2023

Sleep Apnea and an Unexpected Tender Mercy

Photo by Simon Infanger on Unsplash
At least I never have to try to sleep while balancing in a tree!

This past Wednesday I had to go in for another sleep study.  This was a CPAP titration study.  I was trying hard to look at this in the correct light.  This is a step forward.  A step towards maybe actually being able to sleep, and get enough oxygen at night.  As usual though, it wasn't quite that simple.  I have this stubborn part of me that always wants to hope the problem will just go away without uncomfortable new things having to happen.  Maybe tomorrow I will go back to being 20 right?  Ha ha ha.  No.  Of course not right, but my brain sure does not want to accept that!

Anyhow, I packed a bag, had prayer with the family, and drove to Provo.  I felt so emotional and so frustrated with the emotion.  I was tired and I was going to go sleep in a strange bed, hooked to lots of wires, with a weird mask on that would help push air down my throat.  I was going where I did not expect to know anyone, and going and doing new things almost always makes me at least a little nervous!

And then I was there being greeted by a familiar looking giant of a man whose last name immediately came to mind.  I asked him his name while he was hooking me to wires and discovered that he was indeed the person I thought he was, which means that his parents are our friends, and he was in our ward's youth group at the same time I was the Young Women's president years ago.  His name is Glen and having him there to take care of me all night was a tender mercy.  I was very grateful and I told him so.  He said that he was happy that he could check off of his list his hope to at some time take care of a family friend at his work.

He teased me about bringing a bag of stuff when I was only staying one night, and I laughed because it was true.  I just can never make up my mind what I might want when I'm trying to sleep!  I showed him pictures of the family and he sounded a bit on the shocked side that Derek looks the same after all of these years.  He caught me up on what his family is doing too.  

Life is complicated and there are always going to be things that I do not want to deal with, but that I have to deal with anyway.  When that happens, and I am feeling sorry for myself ,and nervous, and picked on, it does not seem like a small thing to me to find a friend when I expected a stranger.  These are the times when I find that, even though I feel alone, God is helping me know that I am not forgotten by Him.

Photo by Chris Curry on Unsplash
I also don't have to sleep on a board.

Photo by Fabien Maurin on Unsplash
Or on the ground:-)
You get the picture.


No comments: