Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Be Curious

This really has nothing to do with my post, but the turkeys came back!
I guess I could be curious about why the turkeys make me smile
but just look at this turkey.  He's pretty awesome!

There are times when I start to feel sad, or upset, or frustrated, or even angry and I am not sure why.  Instead of focusing on the feeling and starting to cry, or hide, or lash out, it is better if I can remember to be curious.  What am I feeling?  What do I need?  What was I expecting?  Is there something I need help with?  Do I just need to talk something out?

There are times when I have actually been successful at this, and other times when I forget and just react and then cry about not acting how I wanted to.  In my class my friend said that she likes to remember when she is starting to have overwhelming feelings, "Everything is an opportunity to practice".  I was also reminded when I was watching Hometown yesterday that problems can just be considered "solution opportunities".  

It can sure be hard to break our usual patterns of reactions, but it is not impossible.  It just takes a bit of work, and practice, and compassion for ourselves when we don't manage to do as well as we hoped.  I am hoping that I can look at any issues that may come up today as chances to practice -- or solution opportunities!

No comments: