Monday, April 29, 2024

The State of My Heart

Even prickly things can be beautiful.

In this world of media, and never ending pictures to compare ourselves too, I often find it is easy to get fixated on the wrong things.  I do this in regards to myself and also to others.  It is unfortunate.  We were not all meant to be the same size, to like to wear the same things, to enjoy doing the exact same activities, or even to like the same food.  Some people came into the world loving music, while others don't seem to be affected by it.  Some people are super athletic, while others would rather do just about anything except some kind of sport.  You get the point.  We are all unique.

The interesting thing is that when I am fixated on some part of me not being exactly like I want, I forget all about those around me and how they may be feeling about themselves!  I also forget to be thankful about the gift of life that I have.  If I am fixated on what others are doing that I think they "shouldn't" then I am not focusing on myself and the things I could do better, or on the good that is in them.  

No matter who I am being judgmental towards, whether myself or someone else, it keeps me from seeing the good in either.  This is not what Jesus wants at all!  We are perfectly loved, and He would like us to practice loving ourselves and all of our family, friends, and even strangers more perfectly.  He even included enemies in those we should love!

We are told in 1 Samuel 16:7 that the Lord doesn't see us like we do because we look at the outward appearance and He looks at the heart.  It is totally possible that whoever I decide to judge for some perceived flaw is actually more pure of heart than me and I am too busy judging to get to know who they really are, and to find out what it is that God loves about them.

We are all perfectly loved and therefore perfectly loveable.  The state of my heart will be more pure if I leave off judging, and look to be better at loving.

No comments: