Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Easter Week: Thursday -- Jesus Prays For Me


A lot of things happened on the Thursday of the original Easter week, but today I want to focus on the fact that Jesus prayed for me twice that day.

The first time was when He gave what is called "the great intercessory prayer" recorded in St. John chapter 17.  Why do I say He was praying for me?  In verse 20 He says He doesn't pray for His apostles only but for "them also which shall believe on me through their word".  I have not seen Jesus like those original apostles have, but I believe they saw Him, and I believe their teaching and testimony that Jesus is the Son of God.  One thing He prays for is that the love the Father has for Him will be upon me.  I feel His love as I picture Him praying for me.

The second time He prayed for me was in the Garden of Gethsemane.  He knelt in the Garden of Gethsemane, and began His atonement for my sins, and my suffering, and my sorrow.  I love Isaiah Chapter 53 -- especially verse 5.  "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

I love that He prayed for me, and was willing to go through such pain for me.  Today I will pray with gratitude for Him.

*Image used with permission from churchofJesusChrist.org

No comments: