Saturday, August 3, 2024

Naming Plants

I watched a show where Joanna Gaines' sister was starting her plant shop.  One of the things she did was name each of the plants she was selling.  The other day, because I had used my wood burning tool to make a No Soliciting sign, I got the idea to name all of my plants and make signs for them.  I spent quite a bit of happy time doing this the next day.  It was a creative and fun activity.

Meet Kahuna.  I re-potted this big Aloe the same day I named it.
I also had to make it smaller since a couple of its long arms were bent and not looking good.
Since Aloe is used for healing, I looked up words on WordHippo that
are related to healer.  Kahuna has, apparently, historically been used to
refer to doctors.  Who knew?

This kind of plant, according to my plant app, is symbolic of love and so
I named her Ruth -- from the Bible.

This is Lucky.
This is the kind of plant I am best at not accidentally killing:-)

Sampson here is a "Monstera" plant.  I am hoping this plant
will live up to its name and become really strong.

Mickey is the first plant I named -- except maybe Spike.
Mickey has two branches that used to make it look like it had
Mickey mouse ears.  I like to sing "Hey Mickey, You're so fine..." to it.

These plants are tiger tooth aloe plants.  I had four in one pot and now I have four
in three pots.  Plucky was the first name I came up with -- hoping it would inspire
my little aloe to quit struggling so much and thrive.  Rajah is the name of the tiger in Aladdin.

From left to right these are Zipper, Dukun, Marnie, Zen, Shere & Khan, Adrian and Sai.

This is Spike -- the parent of Sai - above (Sai is the name of a pointed weapon)

I did decide, as I was naming my plants, that instead of going into the "depths of despair" over being a plant murderer if some of the plants die, like I used to since I have not historically had a green thumb when it comes to house plants, I will just need to have a "Thanks for the time you were my plant" ceremony, sending them off to plant heaven.  

No comments: