Monday, August 19, 2024

The Power of Story

The Princess and Me (Sherie)

I took a class called "My Story Matters" and I just started a book called "The Stories We Tell".  I spent a year doing "The Inheritance Project" where I wrote some of my stories on my blog, and I have many journals where I have written my story as it happened, from the perspective I had at the time.  I have memories that play out like stories, and I have learned that my story matters, as does yours.

As I write, I discover things.  I have discovered past guilt that was easier to let go of because of new perspectives.  I have discovered empathy for a young me that did the best I could at any given time, but who sometimes got it wrong.  I was young and human, and looking back helped me have empathy not just for me, but for those who were with me as I went through various experiences.  As I have taken the time to write, I have even discovered things I was believing about myself that are not true.  Changing those false beliefs has helped me to be happier.

Stories do matter.  The stories we hear and believe, the ones we live, and the ones we tell ourselves. Looking at various parts of my story has helped me see the pain of perfectionism, and the shame that comes with it.  I've seen people more clearly as I looked at my stories through the eyes of a grown up, and took into account their struggles and the fact that they are human and imperfect just like me.  I even discovered that when I thought people were ignoring me, perhaps they just were not able to hear me.  I always hear my voice powerfully, but have learned that it doesn't travel far!

It is not always easy to work through past stories.  I have cried a lot over the past until I have been able to work through those stories and see them with a new found perspective of empathy, forgiveness, and maybe even humor.  As I have done this I have found freedom from past hurts, guilt, sorrow, and the dislike of self that comes from telling myself that I "should" have done better, I "should" have been smarter, etc.  I am sure I have more stories to work through, and more work to do as I learn to tell myself good stories that are motivating and full of grace!  I am also sure that as I work through these stories I will find more freedom and the ability to see myself more like God sees me.

The power of our stories is great.  The way we see our stories and the way we share them can change us, and those around us, for worse, or for better!

No comments: