Monday, April 8, 2024

The Motion of a Hidden Fire

I was looking at pictures of fire, but since I mentioned hidden fire
I went with this sky that looks a little like it's on fire.
Photo by Tengyart on Unsplash

 (The Title is a quote from Prayer is the Soul's Sincere Desire)

After trying a few different things, I have settled on beginning my days by getting up and opening the curtains in my room.  I then sit cross legged on my bed and look out at the wonder that is Mount Loafer, and whatever wildlife I can see.  I take a few moments to be quiet, and to think about all of the variety there is in this world.  Even though my view is the "same" every day -- there is usually something unique.  Some mornings it is brown, some it is white, some green, sometimes a mixture.  The deer can be grazing below, or above, and there are a variety of birds that swoop around.

After enjoying my view I close my eyes and try to focus on my breathing.  Naturally, my mind usually wanders, but that is okay.  Eventually I talk to my Father in Heaven.  I give him gratitude, and tell Him my plans, and ask if He has anything to add (or subtract).  Mostly, I just try to soak up the peace of knowing Heavenly Father and Jesus love me so that I can, hopefully, carry that with me throughout the day.

Some days the time I spend is shorter, some longer, some more effective than others, but it has been a blessing to take a few moments to find peace.  I try to remember to focus on gratitude a lot.  Elder Holland said that "gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder."  He also pointed out that we can pray about anything, anytime.  We can pray out loud, or in our mind.  Heavenly Father ALWAYS hears.

I gave the blog the title "the motion of a hidden fire" because I liked this poetic description of prayer.  Perhaps the hidden fire is love of God, which comes out in praise to Him.  Perhaps it is faith, which we show when we pray and listen and do.  Perhaps the fire is the Holy Ghost coming to us as we focus on our Savior.  

Some days I may not feel like praying.  At times like that it is extra important that I start praying and don't stop until I do feel like praying.  I am certainly not perfect at any of this, but I hope that I can continue to take the time to find a few moments of peace, gratitude and love in the mornings.  It is a great way to start out the day!

No comments: