Sunday, December 20, 2020

Tools for Joy

I like this picture!  The bird is raising his claw so he probably
has an opinion to share. ***

 This year my goal of the year was JOY.  I thought I would share some of the things that have helped me on my quest to find, create, and experience more joy.

I get a lot of joy out of communicating with people, especially those that I love.  I need to go out of my way to take time to visit, Marco Polo, call, text, write, or otherwise communicate with people I care about as often as I can.  I have had a good year spending more time talking to my sisters, friends, and family.  I have had some really good conversations with my sisters that were therapeutic and helpful!  I also have a counselor right now who has helped me recognize and change unhelpful thought patterns.  She is good at focusing on strengths and being encouraging!

Worship Service and time to think about the love of our Father in Heaven and our Savior is good at bringing my focus to what is important.  I have really enjoyed the chance to worship with my family on Sundays, and I have often been granted insight when I needed it if I took time to contemplate important things!

Projects!  I really have loved projects.  Organizing closets, the kitchen, the pile of boxes in the garage, or creating something new, or something improved from something used, gives me joy.

The beauty all around lifts my spirits when I take the time to notice.  I love time in the sunshine especially!  I am working on making myself go out even if it is stormy or cold.  I usually enjoy it if I do.

Gratitude is always important and helpful.  I do not know if I have been reminded of any fact more often than that being thankful is a key to joy.  A very important key.

Books.  When I want to do better at something I tend to try to find books that will give me ideas.  I prefer little ideas that make a big difference :-).  Here are some of the books that I have read and found helpful:

    Anxious For Nothing, How Happiness Happens, and Traveling Light by Max Lucado.

    9 Things You Simply Must Do to Succeed in Love and Life, and Changes that Heal by Henry Cloud

    Making it Through the Middle, and Grace Where You Are by Emily Freeman

    How to Human by Alice Connor

    Living on Purpose by Barry D. Ham PH.D

    Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson, PH.D

    Primary Greatness by Stephen R. Covey

    Make Something Good Today by Erin and Ben Napier

It really helps me to focus on good things, and to choose to believe that good things can and will happen if I keep working towards them.  Thanks to all of you.  Your kindness and love makes a difference to those around you, including me.

***Photo by Bruce Jastrow on Unsplash

No comments: