Monday, February 19, 2024

Remembering Alex on His Birthday

Derek's family maybe a year before I met them.
Alex is on his Mom's lap.

I was remembering the other day how, when I met Derek's family, most of the children (Derek is the oldest of 11) had at least one nickname that they went by regularly, and often they had more than one.  I think a lot of these were given by Derek, who didn't have a nick name, and I think Derek's sisters and littlest brother Alex were mostly immune -- though Megan was often Moogie.  I had to learn them all so as not to be confused about who people were talking about!

A lot of things have changed since then (obviously!), but there are some memories that are stuck in time, and are not given the chance to be replaced or added to and so we are just grateful if we have them, or if someone wrote them down so we can hear them.  Around the time that Derek and I got engaged, Alex was diagnosed with cancer and a bit over a year after we got married he passed away.  

Because of this, every year on Alex' birthday, I remember.  I remember Alex wanting to invite both me and Derek's former girlfriend to his birthday party and how Derek's Mom had to tactfully suggest that maybe just Sherie should come this time.  I remember Alex running to put on his shoes every time we came because he knew Derek would tickle his feet.  Of course, this only stalled the inevitable, but his giggles were priceless.

I remember, that as he got more sick, I was constantly impressed with his siblings who would pull out the stops to make him laugh or to otherwise entertain him.  Once I red him Fox in Sox which I liked, but he preferred Henny Penny.  At least that is my memory.  Fox in Sox was too weird.  

Alex absolutely trusted in Priesthood blessings and knew that if he was blessed to have less pain he would.  He was a normal little boy in so many ways, but rather advanced in others -- perhaps simply because of his absolute faith in Jesus and all that he had been taught.

My favorite memory of Alex might always be the one where Derek's Mom was bringing groceries in the house.  She was wearing a red coat and Alex hid his head under it while his Mom pretended she couldn't find him.  He laughed so much, and I don't think I had ever seen anything quite so fun and precious!

We all love Alex, and I am super grateful that I was able to join the family while I was still able to get to know him, at least a little.

A Memorial Day when my children were younger.

No comments: