Monday, May 6, 2024

The Law of Love

For me the easiest part of the law of love might be loving babies!
Especially "my" babies!
Emily looks like Spring!

This past Thursday I was able to go to Women's Conference at BYU with my friend Shannon.  The first talk we heard was by Steve Young and Laurel Day.  The title of their "talk", which was more of a discussion was "Human Dignity:  To See Another's Soul."  By the end of the talk I was a huge fan of both presenters because they were so passionate about trying to see every person the way that God sees them and treat them accordingly.  They called it "transfigured eyesight".  It means leaving self, and self interest behind and really seeing someone.

The question to ponder is "How can I find this for everyone".  In the Book of Mormon In Moroni 7:48 it asks us to "...pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that yet may be filled with this love...".  This love is charity, or the pure love of Christ, which is the love God has for ALL of His children.  It is a love where we keep in mind that we are all in the family of God, and not just family, but beloved family who we really want to see healed and happy.

There were two thoughts I will mention.  One made me chuckle, but is something that is done too often -- by me and by others.  That is starting a relationship with, "I know what you need".  I think even in relationships we've had for a long time it is not our job to tell anyone what they need, but instead to listen, and try to understand, and to look for all of the potential this person has (because it is there).

The other was a thought about a lost sheep.  They had a quote from a shepherd who said that "sheep don't get lost, they run when they don't feel safe."  Now before you discount this because Jesus is a shepherd and He seeks the lost sheep, I believe the shepherds referred to here are us mortal shepherds.  The thought to contemplate is this, "If you are going to seek the lost sheep, first admit that you might be the reason they aren't there."  Do our "sheep" feel loved or judged?

I loved this talk and want to do better at remembering to pray for charity so that I can see others as God does.


No comments: