Wednesday, August 16, 2023

My Mom

Ray, Tina, Sherie, Mom, Brian, Jenny
This was my Dad's birthday weekend and we wish he had been able to come too.
This is my most recent picture of my Mom.

Today is my Mom's birthday and so she was already on my mind, but as I read Romans chapter 12 where Paul is describing how to live as a saint, I realized that it is a very good description of my Mom.  Here are a few examples.

My Mom is very good at loving people.  It does not matter how much or little they have or what they believe.  She loves them the same and serves them with everything she has.  She serves the Lord in the best ways possible.

My Mom's life, like most people's, has been full of good things, and bad things.  Hard things and easier things.  She has been patient with tribulation, and has been constant in prayer to gain the strength required, or the knowledge necessary to deal with hard things.

If there is anyone "given to hospitality" it is my Mother.  She has welcomed family, friends, and strangers to her home and table.  She has given food, kindness, and a listening ear.  She has rejoiced with those that rejoice and wept with those that weep.

When she was younger and was treated unkindly by the very people who "should" know better, she gave them grace, praying that somewhere along their path they would learn to be more compassionate and kind.  She didn't condemn others when it would have been the natural thing to do.

If anyone has avoided being "conformed to this world" and "transformed by the renewing of [her] mind" it is my Mom.  She has studied, learned and lived the gospel of Christ.  Jesus' love has made all of the difference in her life, and because of how she lives, in the life of her family and many, many others.

I hope today is a wonderful day for a wonderful Mom.


No comments: