Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Being Real and Beautiful

Derek and I in the Uintas at Provo Falls

There is a quote in The Velveteen Rabbit that I really like.  The end of it says that "...once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."  I think this is true.  There are always going to be people to judge us on what we look like, or what we have or haven't accomplished, but there are also going to be those who love us and think that who we are is beautiful.  

I know that I have often been a harsh judge of myself, but if people know how harsh I am with myself, are they going to believe me when I am not harsh with them?  If I can't see my own beauty, what is to make someone believe I can see theirs?  It was a bit of an "Aha!" moment yesterday when I was thinking of this.  I have justified being harsh with myself, because I am NOT harsh with others.  I seem to see other people's beauty (of character and looks) a lot easier than I see my own.  

The thing is this.  God created me, and He created you, and He loves us.  We are all "fearfully and wonderfully made"(Psalms 139:14).  We have every reason to praise Him because when we are Real (loved), we are beautiful.

No comments: