Thursday, April 21, 2022

Am I Really Enough?

 

Teddy and me after one of our morning walks.

Have you ever had someone tell you that you are "enough" and immediately, inside your head, you hear, "They don't really know me", followed by all of the ways that they are wrong.  I have.  I know what they are trying to say, but I get this uncomfortable feeling as I list things in my head.  I am not patient enough or energetic enough.  I don't make dinner enough, or help others enough.  I don't spend enough time listening to my family and friends.  There are plenty of ways that I don't feel "enough" on any given day.  So it was with some relief that I heard Sadie Robertson Huff say in her audio book Live On Purpose, "I am enough because God is Enough".  

Trying to be "enough" on our own often looks like perfectionism.  We get it in our heads that we will be enough when .... and we work really hard at everything until we are too tired, or too discouraged and a little too convinced that there is no such thing as enough.  

I love my Savior and it is really only through Him that I am ever truly "enough".  He paid the price for every bout of impatience.  He paid the price for my sins.  He also experienced, through the Atonement, what it feels like to feel so very flawed.  He has compassion for me, and knows how to strengthen me, and help me to learn.

I am determined that next time I hear that I am enough, I will not list all of my flaws in my head.  Instead I will add that I am enough because of Jesus.

No comments: