Friday, September 1, 2023

Poor Unfortunate Souls

Photo by Aubrey Odom on Unsplash
BYU:  Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve.

**Written on Aug. 29 -- I just forgot to publish it!
Today I was watching Brigham while Tia went to the doctor.  I enjoyed watching him SO much and it brought back a memory from long ago.  I was around 17 and working at a real estate office in Colorado.  I had been accepted to BYU and was going there in February and a couple of the agents were making it clear that they felt it was foolish of me to go there.  I would just end up getting married and having children and they did not feel like that was a very worthwhile thing to do.  One woman even mentioned that she had had a hysterectomy so she wouldn't have to deal with having children.  I was not swayed by their opinions and felt sorry for them even as they felt sorry for me.

There are so many people who want children and struggle to have them and I hope they will get their chance. As time goes on it seems that there are more and more that choose not to have children.  I am so sad for all that they miss.  Having children is difficult.  That is absolutely true.  They are little humans who need a LOT of care when they are born and have a lot to learn, but it is so fun to watch them learn!  I love it when children take my finger and want me to go with them somewhere.  I love that when they are little they have such an enthusiasm for helping, even if their help doesn't really make anything faster.  Little things that we take for granted are fascinating to children and help us remember to find joy in little things.  They love to laugh and cheer and their joy is contagious.  I love little arms giving me a hug, and I love watching a child looking so peaceful in sleep when they have been so very busy getting into things all day long.

Everyone gets to make their own choices, and maybe it is better for people who don't want children to not have them, but I can't help thinking that one day they will regret it.  I still wish I could remember every little sweet, funny, wonderful thing my children did or said when they were little.  I am glad I wrote some down because no matter how much I want to remember, memories still fade.  I am also glad I have gotten to watch them grow and learn until they are grown up, smart, intelligent, sweet, fun, and sometimes still funny humans.  

I did get a degree at BYU, but I also did as the people at the real estate office predicted and got married and had children and I have absolutely no regrets about that!

No comments: