Tuesday, September 26, 2023

The Beauty of Good Thoughts

 For the very beginning of my birthday week Kayli gave me the gift of her two tickets to the Lantern Festival.  Derek and I went early, taking our chairs and blankets and a few things to keep us busy if we needed them.  We agreed to spend the time talking about non-stressful things and just trying to enjoy the moment.  After setting up our spot among a bunch of other attendees, we picked up our prayer flags and lanterns and sat down to write the thoughts we wanted to "send to the Universe".  

We then hung our flags up where they could be seen, and where they will be carried on to all of the other Lantern Festivals until they, like many still hanging, are no longer legible.

We talked, played UNO, and bought dinner from one of the food trucks.  When it was dark enough, it was time for everyone (and there were a LOT of people) to light their lanterns and let them go up into the sky.  We were very inexperienced lantern lighters and when I was getting frustrated at mine Derek said, "Look up!"  I am glad that I did.  

I like this picture.  A lot of the lanterns look like hearts, or bright glowing butterflies.  It was very beautiful.  We finally did let my lantern go, where it proceeded to float too low and run into people.  I assume someone eventually got it to launch (as that happened with several lanterns).  Derek's finally took off like it was supposed to and flew up into the sky.

I think that is Derek's lantern in the middle of the picture.
Someone kindly took our picture.

It was a beautiful event and the lanterns, also decorated with good thoughts, were beautiful.  

No comments: