Thursday, May 9, 2024

Heaven With You

It turns out that I don't have a picture of heaven!
This is pretty though.
Photo by Ash Ashley on Unsplash

In Jesus' time the Scribes, Pharisees and Sadducees spent a lot of time thinking about how to be more obedient.  They were intent on following every rule in the Law of Moses, and even making some more.  They were going to obey their way to heaven, while looking down at those who weren't quite as good at checking all of the boxes.  Sadly, they missed the part where the law was meant to point them to the Savior who would come and to remind them to focus on loving the way that He does.  When Christ came, they didn't recognize Him, or if they did, they were too pleased with their power and stature to let it go to follow this humble carpenter who could do amazing miracles.

It is easy to look down on them for their choices, but I have noticed myself being a bit like them before.  I go to church every Sunday, checked all of the covenant boxes, and do my best to keep the commandments and -- well look at those poor souls who are messing up!  They really should know better shouldn't they?  The truth is, if I am just checking boxes and forgetting to love God with my whole heart and my neighbor as myself (which doesn't include judging or telling them what to do), I am messing up big time.

I do not think that Heaven is a place where people sit and gloat over how much better they have been than everyone else!  Podcaster Richard Ostler said, "Heaven isn't about separating us from others and the feeling of satisfaction as we see those who didn't make it.  Heaven is about reaching out and bringing others with us." (quoted in The Law of Love by Steve Young).

The plan really is for us to learn to love so well that others want to come with us because being in our Savior's presence with the people we love is the happiest place to be.

No comments: