Thursday, November 2, 2017

Gratitude for Music


I am starting a November series on things that I am grateful for.  Today, like every Thursday, is "Thankful Thursday" for me.  I have noticed that looking for, and paying attention to the good things that are around, and the good things that are said and done in a day, can make all of the difference in how I feel.  Noticing is important.  Expressing gratitude for those things I notice is important.

This morning, at the beginning of November, I have had one of my favorite Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas specials on while I fold some laundry that I washed on Monday.  There are many who will cringe because Thanksgiving hasn't even happened yet, and Christmas music has been playing in my car for a month, but I often pull out Christmas music throughout the year when I want something to lift my spirits.  There are very few things in this life that can bring me peace, or joy, or just a feeling that there is good in the world, as quickly as a good song, or a joyful melody.  Hymns and Primary songs have helped me through many a rough patch.  Christmas music has extra power because it reminds me not only of the birth of my Savior, but of many happy memories that have been created throughout the years.

So today, and every day, I am thankful for beautiful music.  There is great power for good in all good music.  I hope you will hear some today, and have your spirits lifted.

No comments: