Saturday, March 6, 2021

Decor, Hospitality, and Seasons

Winter Inspiration!


 I've been in to getting library books from the non-fiction section lately.  Often they are about decluttering, organizing, and gardening.  Then I started looking for books on hospitality, and this last time I stumbled on one called Welcome Home by McQuillyn Smith.  I love it, which made Derek decide I was "so funny"!  Maybe it seems funny to read books on hospitality when I have such good examples in friends and family, but I have always liked the idea of having a house that people feel welcome to come to, and where they can feel loved and comfortable.  New ideas are always welcome.  One of the things I love about Welcome Home is that the author talks about every season, and I have been trying to make a seasonal health plan, which I think can be enhanced by the principles she talks about.  The author is a "cozy minimalist" who is an "imperfectionist".  I can get behind those things!  

 I read in a magazine about sharing God's love through hospitality.  That is something that I strive to do when I have people over, and I appreciated the ideas that this hostess has.  One quote I loved is, "hosting is never about the host, and hospitality is never about the house."  She suggests that, if you are feeling super stressed and tired it might be better to cancel, or reschedule, than to have people over and have them be uncomfortable.  I like that she reminds the host to take a few minutes to feel calm before guests come, and to make sure your family knows guests will be there and what you hope they will contribute.

I liked her thought about decorating for Christmas too.  I usually do a lot of Christmas decorating, but I learned years ago that if it is stressing me out it just isn't worth it.  The author explains, "If decorating my house for Christmas is a burden, then I stop.  I have to.  It’s the most ridiculous thing in the world to stress out and overdecorate when what I really need is to undo myself and rest in the one whom we are celebrating.”

Decor is to be enjoyed, not to trip over or give you a headache. Hospitality is about making connections and seasons are a part of life that reminds us that there is always change. There are times of rest, and times of renewal. I am looking forward to the daffodils blooming. I saw the green poking up through the ground today on my walk and it is good to know that Spring is coming.

No comments: