Thursday, January 20, 2022

A Leash On a Snake


 Last night I dreamed that I was trying to put a leash on a snake.  I was afraid of the snake and so I was begging someone else to leash it for me.  That's really all I remember about my dream other than that the snake seemed to travel with me and I was often trying to find it -- though I wasn't sure I wanted to.

Now obviously this isn't a really profound dream.  But as I was trying to think of what to write about today I thought about the little vices we get attached to and justify as ok.  They are not "that bad".  We have control.  Right?  We have leashed our snake and so it is safe to take with us.  Never mind that sometimes leashed things take their owners for walks and not the other way around.  We take them with us wherever we go -- and sometimes they take us somewhere we don't want to go.  We can get to loving our snakes (or vices, or bad habits or sins) so much that we miss them when we try to get rid of them.  We might even keep them even though a part of us is afraid of them.

Now for all of the real snake lovers out there -- I am obviously not talking about real snakes.  I would never try to leash a real snake.  Especially a poisonous one!  It is a good idea though for me to look at what I think and do and see if I am carrying around with me some kind of "snake" that I think I have control of -- but which is really not good for me to keep!  

No comments: