Friday, April 23, 2021

Laughter or Tears

This is all I could get of my bike if I was in the picture!

This is the bike that my Dad bought me for my birthday (I think) when I was in college.  I've had it since 1987 at least -- and maybe 1986!  Jake fixed my tire for me and has been good about coming on my, so far, rather torturous bike rides with me!

 A few years ago I was trying to teach myself to run and I mentioned on a blog that when I push myself really hard -- I cry.  I had a blogger friend who commented that when she went to the gym she knew her trainer had pushed her really hard if she started laughing a lot.  Truthfully, I'm a little jealous of that reaction!  

One of my goals is to try the C25K program again.  In the past I never did even get to the point where I could run a mile at once, but I did notice that I felt better, so I'm trying again.  My nice family members are helping me out.  Kayli agreed to do it with me, and Derek and Jake came the first day.  What happened?  By the end I had tears running down my face because it was so hard for me!  I have to work so hard when that happens to be nice to myself!  I don't love exercising but I am not lazy! 

My other goal is to ride my bike 10 miles in one ride.  Those who bike a lot will know that this is "easy".  Me?  I thought I'd try riding from here to the Elk Ridge road and back (Probably less than 2 miles total).  The first time was awful!  It was a little too cold and my ear hurt and so I was dizzy when I got home and my heart was beating really hard and I spent some quality time feeling sorry for myself while lying on the floor -- and trying again to be nice to me! The good news?  Even though my legs felt like rubber I did not fall off of my bike when I got home! 

I know that if I stick with it, it will get easier.  I also am aware that if I push too hard, I will injure myself because I've done that before! When you push yourself really hard what happens to you?  I am trying to make peace with my tears because it means I am pushing myself.  I am even trying to do a little cheering for myself with some slightly forced laughter before I cry.  Who knows.  Maybe one day my response will be a natural laugh, and the tears won't show up at all!  

1 comment:

Happy Mom said...

Any exercise is good for you! I agreed with your statement about not liking exercise but not being lazy! I did a 369 miles walk (over four months) and I felt like I didn’t improve at all. But I feel good I kept going. Haha! You’re awesome. Starting is the biggest battle. And ten miles is a lot. I personally feel good about five mile bike rides which are also still too long! 😂