Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Hidden Things: Thoughts From The Fog

This morning I woke up, opened my curtains and saw fog.  I actually love the fog when I'm not having to drive in it.  It's like an amazing magic trick.  I know there is a mountain out my window, but I can't see it at all!  I know there is a valley down below and a road going up into the canyon, but I can't see it!  God created the wonderful view out my window, and now He is hiding it -- just for a while.  There are beautiful things hiding in the fog!

There is an entire mountain hidden in this fog!

Out these windows we can usually see a house that has not been well kept in a while and whose deck always looks like it might fall over at any moment.

There are also not so beautiful things hidden in the fog.  I might miss seeing the mountain if the fog stayed for a long time, but I would probably not miss the view of the unstable deck!  


And finally, the view that is usually the mountain seen from the inside.
The Christmas lights that go up the stairs are reflected in the window and
the view of the nativity stands out more than usual.

The fog gives us a different perspective and has us focusing on different things than usual.  Life's experiences are like this too.  Some experiences seem to hide God from our view and we have to remember past times when we have seen evidence of Him to keep believing.  Some experiences may hide the bad things from us, things which are seemingly great in the moment, but which turn out to be a rickety staircases ready to drop us to the ground far below.  Finally, some experiences help us see God more clearly, or reflections of His light, keeping us going when things are hard and He seems hidden.

I'm sure there are lots of analogies I could make up from the fog, but today I choose to enjoy the miracle that can be seen when the mountain is hidden.

No comments: