Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Power of Imagination

Every now and then I get stuck -- not physically, but mentally.  I am stuck in a grouchy mood, or stuck with a problem I don't know how to solve.  It really isn't fun being stuck unless you happen to be stuck in the house with a good book, or some other more pleasant scenario.  Fortunately I have a friend who taught me to visualize, or think through, or, in other words, to imagine.

For example, there was a night when I was lying in bed and I was upset.  I couldn't seem to get past something that happened that day.  I tried to imagine what my problem would look like to me if it were a picture and all I could come up with was darkness.  I felt trapped in darkness with no way out.  Now, for me, it helps to pray, and imagine.  I prayed and told Heavenly Father that I was feeling upset, and that I felt like I was surrounded by darkness and I needed His help. 

One thing I have learned is that when I have a problem, it really helps to think it through for myself, even if the problem is something as vague sounding as "I am feeling surrounded by darkness".  What am I asking for?  What am I hoping Heavenly Father will do?  Well, the obvious solution to being surrounded by darkness is that a little light will get through!  So that is what I asked for.  I asked Heavenly Father to please send me a little bit of light to penetrate that darkness.  I imagined Him doing it, and almost immediately He answered my prayer with a flood of thankful memories that helped me let go of whatever had happened that day that had upset me, and the darkness was gone.

I did not solve my own problem, but using my imagination to try to help define the problem and imagine a solution, helped me to believe, and to have faith that there really was something that could be done to help me.  Often as I go through the process of imagining a solution to a problem, the Lord helps me to know what to do!

Nothing is ever invented without being imagined first, and problems are easier to solve if you can imagine a solution!  There really is great power in imagination.  If we imagine something is hopeless, it may be that it is.  But, if we imagine that same something has a solution, we are likely, one day, to find it.

*Picture from Google Images

No comments: