Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Perception, Assumption, Belief, Truth

 I became aware again yesterday of something that the people pleasing part of myself does.  This includes sometimes pleasing myself by deciding to believe something that may not be exactly based on fact!

Though this may apply to many things, I am going to talk about it in regard to finances.  I have a constant battle going on in my head over my relationship with money.  If I can just focus on what is true, I believe I will be more content and a lot less stressed.

Photo by micheile henderson on Unsplash

Perception:  "a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression" (All definitions from Google Dictionary)

For much of my life I have had the impression that people are watching over my shoulder at how I spend my $$ and judging me.  Now, I have "learned" that not everything is about me.  Most of the time when I think someone is judging me, it is because I am judging myself.  Nine times out of 10 -- at least -- when I suspect someone is judging me, they are probably not thinking about me at all.  My perception of what other people are thinking doesn't matter at all.  What matters is what is true.  Am I spending my money wisely?  Am I spending more than I have?  Whether someone else thinks I should or shouldn't be spending my $$ the way I am doesn't matter.  What does matter is the facts of the situation.

Assumption:  "a thing that is accepted as true, or as certain to happen, without proof"

This is how I like to manage my finances!  I like to assume that we have plenty of money for me to do whatever I want, no matter what the numbers may say.  This is silly!  What matters is the actual numbers.  (No worries, we have plenty for what we need and I am generally spoiled in having what I want also, but if I'm not careful, I can get a bit carried away!)

Belief:  "an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists"

I can choose to believe that I can spend as much as I want without it causing problems for Derek or the family, but if the numbers don't say that, then that belief is obviously false.

Truth:  "that which is in accordance with fact or reality".

The truth is that most people have limited resources.  We can't just go out and get anything that we want and expect the budget to balance at the end of the month, or year, or anytime.  I am 100 percent sure that I will be happier when it comes to my relationship with money if I focus on the facts and not on my perception of what others think, or my assumption that there will always be "plenty" no matter what I do, or my belief that I never want too much.  Truth is the key!  

No comments: