Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Love A Little Extra Day


For years I have watched as many people mourn on Valentine's Day.  They mourn their lack of a significant other, or a "Valentine" that is all of their own.  I have also heard of people who complain that it is a time when they feel pressure to give a gift that is romantic, or expensive and so they feel it is a holiday of extortion.  Every year I wish that St. Valentine's Day was just thought of as a day to love a little extra and to celebrate God's individual love for each and every person there is.

I will grant that this is easy for me to say because I have Derek and a beautiful bouquet of flowers in my room, but I don't like that people feel sad on a day that is meant to celebrate love.  Now, I have discovered that I can't make anyone want to celebrate their own birthdays and I can't make anyone want to celebrate Valentine's day.  I cannot take away the sadness that comes from not having something you desperately want, and I can't make anyone want to give a gift without feeling forced to do so.  I just hope that when you read this, whether you have your own special "Valentine" or not, you will try to think of ways that you can love a little extra today and lift the burdens of those who feel sad, lonely, and forgotten.

Heavenly Father and Jesus will never ever forget you or stop loving you and I hope that there is someone in your life who will help you to feel that today.

No comments: