Thursday, April 18, 2019

Easter Week: Friday -- Cruelty and Pain

The Crucifixion by Harry Anderson
Used by permission from theChurchofJesusChrist.org
When my children were younger we took them up to Salt Lake to see The Testament:  Of One Fold and One Shepherd.  There are scenes during the movie that show people being cruel to Christ.  They show Him nailed to the cross, and in pain.  When I looked over at one of my daughters, she had her head down, with her eyes tightly shut and her hands covering her ears.  She is a sweet and loving person.  Watching the Jesus in the film suffer was too much for her.  I can only imagine how much pain and sorrow Jesus' mother felt as she saw her own son suffer such agony.

Sometimes in this life we may suffer cruelty.  We will have pain.  There is no doubt that Jesus understands what that feels like.  He knows it is hard.  He may even want to hide His face, and close His eyes, and cover His ears and so He does not have to watch someone He loves suffer -- but He does not do that.  Like His mother stayed with Him, He stays with us.  He offers us comfort, and support, and understanding.  He may even take some of our pain, or strengthen us so that we can handle it.  Even if we are hurting to much to recognize it, He is there for us.

I want to be like Jesus.  Instead of avoiding having to see and hear a family member, friend, or stranger suffer, I want to be there offering comfort, and support and understanding.  Jesus has done that for me.  Family, friends, and strangers have done this for me.  Even at times when I have felt alone, and seemed to be alone, I hold on to the knowledge that the Lord is with me, and He loves me.

No comments: