Thursday, October 25, 2018

Uncle Paul




Derek's Uncle Paul passed away on October 8th.  He was 89.  At times like this, I feel grateful to be the oldest daughter-in-law that Derek's parents have.  That means that I have had the greatest opportunity to know some of the older family members.  I do not have a lot of memories of Uncle Paul but I do have some.

Once he was at Derek's parent's house.  I can't remember how I ended up playing a little piece of a song I used to have memorized for Uncle Paul, but I did.  He was an excellent musician and had taught piano for years and years by then.  He corrected something I had probably always done wrong in the song I had played.  Unfortunately, while I know what song it was, I no longer have it memorized, nor can I remember what my mistake was exactly, so I suspect if I played the song again -- I would goof again!

On that same occasion (I think), he played a hymn and transposed it in his head to different keys as he played.  I was impressed!

One year he came down and did a Christmas concert on the organ.  Derek and I went.  It was held at the church building where we currently attend church.  In my head it was dark in the chapel while he played.  I wonder if it really was?  Maybe that was just as we were walking out.

Another year Derek and I went up to Uncle Paul's house.  There were quite a few people there, and I think we had food, but I don't really remember why we were there -- just that we got to see his house and his yard and some other Christensen relatives.  He lived in a beautiful area!

One final memory I have is when Jake was in the hospital as a baby.  Uncle Paul lived a lot closer to Primary Children's hospital than we do and offered to let us stay with him while Jake was there.  We didn't.  We drove up and down the highway so we could spend time with our other children too, but it was kind of him to offer, and we knew he meant it.
I don't remember having seen this done before.  I think this is a burial vault that they are writing on,
and it is covered with the names of relatives who love Uncle Paul!

It was a beautiful fall day for the funeral.
This is Derek in front of Uncle Paul's casket.
Here's a quote I think Uncle Paul would agree with: 
"Music can change the world because it can change people."  
Bono

No comments: