Saturday, March 2, 2019

Don't Think About White Bears or School Buses!

Photo by Andy Brunner on Unsplash

This morning I was reading The Willpower Instinct  and the author talked about a study where people were told not to think about white bears -- and later, on a podcast I was listening to, Jody Moore gave the example of not thinking about school buses.  Both were sharing the same lesson.  When we want to stop doing something, it doesn't help to tell ourselves not to think of whatever it is we don't want to do.  That will actually make us less likely to reach our goal.  "Don't think about cookies" will not help us eat healthier.  It is better to think about what we will do!
Photo by Robert Vunabandi on Unsplash

I have been working on eating healthier.  I have decided not to have desserts for a year.  I am hoping I will ache less if I eat better.  It will not help me to accomplish my goal if I dwell on all of my favorite desserts!  It does help me to think about what I can eat -- and to imagine how much I will like feeling healthier.
Photo by Nadine Primeau on Unsplash

So, instead of telling myself not to think about desserts, I will be telling myself that eating vegetables is going to make me feel good.  Now, if I can also convince myself they are the most delicious thing on the planet that would help a LOT.  I wonder if it would help to tell myself to not think about vegetables?

1 comment:

Happy Mom said...

So my new things are red peppers and roasted pine nuts hummus. And Greek Gods yogurt with granola and raspberries. Probably all of that has more sugar than it should. But it feels healthy and tasty! Good luck on your goals.