Monday, March 4, 2019

Seeing Our Amazing Selves

Jake, the snow pig (before he got his eyes and mouth), the snowman, and me.

The other day I was visiting a very good friend.  I love her and think she is an incredibly kind and amazing person.  As we were talking she said something that made me think a couple of things.  First, "She really doesn't know how amazing she is!" and second, "Wow, she thinks I am amazing!"  And then I laughed because we were so good at seeing the talents and gifts that belonged to a friend, and the good things they do, and not so good at seeing our own.

So how can I and everyone else do better at seeing our amazing selves?  I have found that it helps me to remember who created me.  Do I really want to criticize one of God's creations?  Am I really going to look in the mirror and find every "flaw" instead of recognizing what amazing things my body can do and has done?  God knew what He was doing when He made me.  Out of all of the people who live on Earth and who have or will live on Earth I am unique!  That is really incredible!  Nobody has had the exact same experiences as me.  Nobody looks at things exactly the same.  Nobody else is me.  Nobody else can do what I was sent to do.  I was created on purpose for a purpose!

When I think of myself this way then I am sure that I have something good to contribute.  Heavenly Father can take whatever large or small talents I have and make them useful.  He knows my name and yours.  He said that what He created is good and so if we don't see that, we just need to look harder!  If we ask, He will let us know how much He loves us as an individual -- even though we make mistakes.  We really can trust that God made each of His children with great potential and He can help us find that potential and use it for good.  He sent Jesus to light our way and to carry us when things are hard.  I am really thankful for the days that I remember these things and choose to believe them instead of letting negative thoughts run rampant through my head!

"For thou hast created my inward parts:  thou hast formed me in my mother's womb.  I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made:  marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."
Psalms 139: 13, 14 

No comments: