Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Evolving Want: The Story of My "Potting Bench"

The focal point of this picture, looks like a fancy
potting bench.
Photo by rebekah baines on Unsplash
Two or three weeks ago I got it into my head that I wanted a potting bench.  I don't even know how I knew what a potting bench was!  I just wanted to have one spot in the shed where all of my gardening stuff is kept -- instead of a spot in the shed, and in the garage, and occasionally scattered about the garden itself. 

A potting bench is kind of a fancy table to work on potting your plants, and it has room for some tools, and often has a plant shelf so it can look all beautiful too.  They can be quite pretty. 

Then I thought maybe a cart on wheels would be the thing.  I saw a neighbor using a cart as a potting bench out in his driveway.  I could wheel my garden stuff out of the shed and work in the sun!
This cart is bigger and more rustic than the ones
I was looking at.








Finally, I decided that before I bought anything I was going to go to Deseret Industries and see what they had available.  I found the perfect thing!  And it only cost me $10.  It is in the shed already, loaded with my gardening supplies.
This is when it was still sitting at DI
I think it's really a solid old dresser that is missing two drawers,
but I wanted the two shelves and not the drawers and so it is perfect for me!
I am glad that I didn't buy the potting bench right when I decided I wanted one.  It would have been out of place in our shed, and would have gotten all dinged up, and would have blocked the window.  I'm also glad I didn't go with a rolling cart.  Any potting I do is usually me sitting on the lawn, or at the kitchen table.  I like my new "potting bench".  It is practical, and has character.

No comments: