Friday, March 8, 2019

Let Go Of Anger

Photo by Ben White on Unsplash
This is a picture of a couple of
the things that can help
us to let go of anger.
I either don't get angry very easily, or I don't have a lot to be angry over, but I do remember one specific situation where I was angry.  Somebody did and said some things that I didn't think were right, or fair, and that I felt put me in an uncomfortable spot.  I was angry!  I was angry for quite a while and hope never to repeat the experience!  I made the mistake of dwelling on what I thought they should have known, on what they should have done, and on what I wish I had said.  I wondered if I should let them know they were wrong.

The answer was no.  The situation was past.  There was nothing that needed to be done.  It was over.  Telling the person that I was angry and that they were wrong wasn't going to help.  It was too late for either of us to say or do anything differently and that particular situation wasn't likely to ever happen again.  And, there is always the possibility (believe it or not) that I wasn't completely right either!  So, eventually, after obsessing about it for a while, and talking to Derek, and probably days of prayer, I just let it go.  I stopped thinking about it.

I had thought that what this person had done was wrong and unfair and I was frustrated, but I only felt better when I chose to let go of the angry thoughts and replaced them with kind thoughts of forgiveness, understanding, and charity.  I only felt better when I let go of the pride that had me feeling like I needed to prove that I was right.

Lucius Annaues Seneca said, "Anger if not restrained, is frequently more hurtful than the injury that provokes it."  Being angry hurt me more than anyone, and forgiving was a relief.

No comments: