Saturday, February 11, 2023

A Poem of Saturday

 

My flowers and my books.

Today I woke up hurting.  My head was in much pain.  I knew there was no hope that I would go to sleep again.  So I got up and ate breakfast, and took medicine too, because when you are in pain, that is often what you do!  This was not a great beginning, to a happy Saturday, but I did not give up hope and I got ready for my day.  Down to the dusty basement, I headed for a chore, to go through the big garbage bags we filled up years before.  They held a lot of pictures that are not hanging on our walls, and I stacked them very neatly so they leaned, but would not fall.  

Lunch came rather quickly and my head had eased a bit, and I wrapped Jake's birthday presents and set them where they fit.  I read a few good pages in a borrowed magazine, warm under my blanket where I dozed but didn't dream.  Then all of us got ready for our late Christmas book trip, and we climbed into the van, the steering wheel in Derek's grip.

And as I looked at books, I remembered Tia's tip.  "You have enough self help books, you don't need more on this trip!" So I went for something different than I have read in quite a while, and I have high hopes the stories will be good and bring a smile.

My  Books

Then when the books were chosen, by all those in our group, we all got in the line, all of us made quite a troop. Then we headed home for pizza, that I had bought before, for Derek to cook up for all who entered in our door.  Tia brought me flowers, Brigham played with toys, Connor played piano, and his game brought us some joys.  And now it is all over.  My head is feeling fine.  And now I'm nearly ready for goodnight sleepy time.

I told Connor that his picture probably had red eyes.  You can even tell when it's in black and white!

No comments: