Friday, May 17, 2019

Honoring Mothers -- Not Dishonoring Fathers

My Mom and Dad in 2008.  I got this from my Dad's Facebook photos :-)
Sunday we went to a different ward than usual, and there was a Mother's Day program, which is a good thing -- mostly.  However, when we got in the car after church, I felt the need to tell my boys that Mothers and Fathers are equally important.  And Derek summed up by saying, "We don't need to dishonor someone in order to honor someone else".  We also don't need to compare roles and decide which is "most" important.

Now, in both of the speakers defense, neither intentionally dishonored Fathers.  One was a son, who did mention his Father as important -- though, to me, he made it sound like being a Mother is better.  One was a Father, and I think he was downplaying his role, trying to make sure he was giving his wife the credit she deserved.

I honor Mothers.  My own Mother has shown me how to love, serve, cook, bake, and clean.  She has shared her love of books and music.  She has been an example of faith, courage, and forgiveness.  She has shown me that learning can be a constant thing, and that we can learn even if we aren't in school.  I cannot possibly say enough things in honor of my Mother, or my mother-in-law, and all of the Grandmas (both mine and Derek's).  These are women who, in the midst of their own challenges, cared for, taught, and loved those within their sphere of influence.

I also honor Fathers.  My own Father worked a lot of hours.  He provided our family with a place to live, and food to eat, and clothes to wear.  He helped teach us to work, even when having us work probably made the job harder, and to serve, giving to people who had less than we did.  He wrote us cards or letters when he had to work away from home to take care of us.  He shared his love of the scriptures every chance he got.  I do not think I could say enough things to honor both my Dad, and my children's Dad, and the Grandpa's that all worked so hard to love the families in their care.

I love my Mom and my Dad.  Not everyone has a good Mom and Dad -- but that does not take away from the fact that the roles of both a Mother and a Father are vital, and important, and worthy of honoring.

Some of the Christensen clan singing for Derek's Mom on Mother's day
including Tia and Kayli.  We were blessed to be able to see my Mom and Derek's
on Mother's Day.

1 comment:

Happy Mom said...

I totally agree with this!! I am so grateful for the good men and women who have been mothers and fathers in my life!!