Thursday, May 23, 2019

Summer Learning and My Summer Plan

I love to swing!  Swings remind me of summer.
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
I used to make big plans every summer; some sort of plan on how to get the kids to read, and do a little math, and not play endless video / computer games.    Music practice was required, and I tried to make some room for adventures.  And then there were chores.  I didn't think they did very many, and they probably felt like they did them all! 

Somehow, it all sounded fun before Summer started, and then kind of went downhill from there.  Summers made me feel like I was responsible every day all day to make sure my kids were doing worthwhile things.  At least when they are in school I know that for a few hours they are following a schedule where they are supposed to be learning something!

I do not know what this summer will be like.  I only have two kids that don't count as grown ups.  It won't look the same as summers when all 6 kids were home!  We have some adventures planned already and I have ideas for more.  I have lovely plans to have the boys help with "spring" cleaning.  I'm sure they'll be thrilled.  For my sanity, I'm sure we'll need some structure, and rules about electronic distractions, but I do not want to micromanage the boys so much that they do not know how to manage themselves!

Photo by Alex on Unsplash
Summer learning is different from regular school learning.  It is learning practical skills.  It is trying new activities, seeing new places, and also, hopefully, learning that it's a good thing to go outside and enjoy the sunshine, or the rain.  It is a time to look up at the stars at night, and to be impressed with this earth we live on.  Summer is playing games, tending the garden, talking, laughing, and getting lost in a book.  My Summer plan is to spend time with my family and friends doing things that we enjoy, or that are useful, and to take life at a slow enough pace to really appreciate the time we have together. 

1 comment:

Happy Mom said...

Yes!! I can't believe we're down to two kids. :)