Monday, May 6, 2019

Manners and Marriage


Years and years ago Derek and I were standing outside when some neighbors started arguing in the yard.  It was loud and easy to overhear.  Derek cringed and said something like, "They would never talk like that to anyone else.  Sometimes people forget to use manners with those who are closest to them."

Derek is so thoughtful, and if he can, he will do most anything I ask him to -- if I ask nicely.  If I try telling him to do it?  Well, then I should prepare to be disappointed -- or to quickly remember my manners!

People at home tend to get the worst of us.  They "have" to love us anyway, and we are tired by the time we get home from a busy day.  Remembering simple manners can make a huge difference in how everyone feels.  Good manners, including a kind tone of voice, can go a long way to making a happy marriage, and a happy life.

*Photo by Courtney Hedger on Unsplash

No comments: