Sunday, May 12, 2019

Save The Nene! Don't Feed The Chickens!

This is a Nene.  They were endangered in the 1950s and there were a lot of signs warning us
to watch for Nene because they are to be protected!  We saw a lot of Nene and so they must be doing a lot better now!
Saturday we went back to the lighthouse / bird refuge.  This time we were going to pay to go in, but it was the lighthouses birthday and they were letting everyone in for free!  Lucky us! This day was the beginning of me noticing the Nene and all of the signs about them.  I had already noticed all of the don't feed the chickens and cats signs.  There were don't feed the bird signs too -- or maybe it said wildlife -- I'm not sure.
I took pictures from a lot of angles trying to get a good one of the sea cave.

The pictures look a lot alike, but the view was so pretty I added them here anyway.

A closer up picture.  These are like the caves we saw along the Napali coast when we were in the helicopter.

There is beauty all around.

Me.  And Derek.  It seems like I had no reason to take a picture of anyone else!

A little island by the lighthouse.

A view of the coast on the opposite side of the lighthouse from the sea caves.


If we had wanted to pay lots of money and wait for over an hour we could have gone into the lighthouse.
We were content to look at the outside.

The Nene

Derek standing by the Nene

I tried to take pictures of birds.  I am not patient enough, and they won't stand still!  Most of my bird pictures didn't turn out even as nice as this blurry one.


My chip eating birdy friend.
He ate a chip out of my hand.
I know.  Don't feed the birds!
That was the only way it would
stand still enough for me to get a picture!

My bird friend.

Derek and I took shelter under a tree during a rain storm.  We eventually gave up on waiting for it to let up and ran to the car in the downpour.

Perhaps the lighting wasn't the best!

Somewhere beautiful in Kauai

Derek.  I think we were standing above Taro fields.

We drove to this waterfall.  We wanted to be able to hike down, but there were fences, and warnings about cliffs, and pictures of how we might fall and die.  So we didn't hike down.

A different lighthouse by the harbor where the cruise ships park.

There was a sea wall that the waves would break against.  In between that, and the wall we were standing on we found this.


The waves breaking on the wall.

Some of Derek, and a more dramatic picture of the waves breaking over the wall.

We were about to leave when the cruise ship came around the corner and so we stayed for a while to watch it.
This was a good day.  We didn't hurt the Nene.  We didn't feed the chickens.  We did feed the cute red headed bird.  We did enjoy the beauty of all we got to see.

No comments: