Thursday, August 15, 2019

Golden Moments: The Gift of A Little Friend

***
Days can be full of all kinds of moments.  Peaceful, hectic, sad, overwhelmed, funny, happy ...  All kinds of moments.  Sunday was no exception, but I was having a few too many moments where I felt sad.  When it was time for church we were running late.  I hate running late.  We had company, which was great, but as soon as the prayer was said and Connor was leaving I announced that I was going with him and left everyone else behind.

Connor had a friend waiting for him and the three of us went in and got a bench to save.  Then, as we were waiting, a little boy who is in Primary (the children's organization at church) saw me and his face lit up.  I love those moments!  And then, to my surprise, he asked his Mom if he could come sit by me.  And he did.  Right next to me.  He snuggled close just as the rest of my family arrived. 

I kept waiting for him to get intimidated by a bunch of people he doesn't know sitting by him, but he didn't.  Honestly, I kept thinking he would look at me and decide he didn't know me either.  I haven't ever taught his class -- but I have been in front of the room, and led the music quite a bit.  He told me about his new sister, and his rocket bike that is red.  He goes to kindergarten this year and I found out that he is really good at finding hymns by their numbers.  He told me his brothers names and could point out another member of his Primary class.  He stayed snuggled up close to me until after the Sacrament and then went to join his family.

These were golden moments for me.  I kept looking around thinking -- does anyone see this?  He came to sit by me!  He chose me!  Could there be a nicer tender mercy than the gift of a little friend?  I have told the Primary children before that they make a difference for good.  I have explained how them smiling at me has often made me feel happy and loved.  Some of them look surprised, but I think that we can all, no matter what our age, create golden moments through kindness!  I am thankful for a little boy who helped me feel noticed and loved and created a much needed golden moment for me.

**Watercolor by Phyllis Luch used by permission from churchofjesuschrist.org

1 comment:

Happy Mom said...

Wow. I love this so much!!